Thursday, October 1, 2009

Smellivision

Making focaccia bread, Italian style
While I was visiting the Salvo's in Piedmonte, Italy this summer, I was thrilled to take an Italian cooking class, although completely spoken in Italian (thanks Suzanne and Chris for the translation). We made the best focaccia bread with no utensils other than our hands. Much as I've tried to decipher the crazy "grams" recipe issue, I've had to create my own version here in the U.S. So, today, on this blustery fall day, what better opportunity to create bread SMELLIVISION right here in KC.

Rosemary focaccia bread KC style - BEFORE
I opted for measuring utensils and a bowl, and there is nothing better than baking bread on a cool and windy day. And the very best part is that it smells so amazing. My goal in life should be to figure out how to email smells. I couldn't stop with just one loaf though - made a couple more as thank you's and another for a sick friend (who could be sick after smelling fresh baked bread?) For this particular day, I chose rosemary from my herb garden (which, by the way, is struggling to survive now that the nights are so cool) and coarse salt.


Rosemary focaccia bread with grilled pork loin and asparagus - AFTER
I pulled out some of my best blended olive oil from Sonoma County and grilled the rest of the meal out of doors. One of my better decisions has been to join an olive oil club - you get the best olive oils and some amazing vinegars (the pomegranate and blood orange vinegars are my faves). I can now spend the rest of the evening enjoying the smells of my semi-Italian house. Let's hope my neighbors are doing the same.


A new craze - black garlic?
Speaking of smells, have any of you heard of black garlic? Apparently it's the hottest craze in gourmet food. After spending a month fermenting, the garlic finishes with a smooth texture and sweet taste. And the best news is that it leaves no garlic breath and has double the antioxidants of raw garlic and a natural cancer preventing compound. I will have to figure this one out.
Now, take a deep breath and relax!















No comments:

Post a Comment