Friday, October 30, 2009

Cooking Jasper Style

Cooking from Jasper's new cookbook at the CCKC
This was my best Jasper J. Mirabile, Jr. cooking class yet. It was timed with the release of his new cookbook - "Jasper's Kitchen Cookbook - Italian Recipes and Memories from Kansas City's Legendary Restaurant". The cookbook is wonderful. Not only does it include treasured family recipes, but also great stories about growing up and family. Jasper also brought along his mama, who helped in the kitchen and made their famous meatballs.

I think Italian cooking and Jasper's classes appeal to me because they are simple, full of tradition and include flavors that warm you from your head to your toes. My favorite part of the book is the chapter called "On the Cannoli Trail" (more on this later) and in it there is a story about Jasper learning to make granita from his relative Reno in Italy. It's not the recipe that is the secret, but what is in Reno's head, which is why I love to take cooking classes. Anyone can read a recipe on a sheet of paper and attempt to make it, but it's the special touches that truly make a dish remarkable.

Lobster Cappuccino
I always write down a few things that "stick" with me after a cooking class (which I will include in this entry). "Start and finish with something amazing", Jasper says. Well, there is nothing more amazing than this lobster soup. It was my favorite recipe from the class and very rich and filling. It is served in cappuccino cups and it's plenty. My goal is to make it, but first I have to locate lobster base.


Spinach and Gorgonzola Salad

I have several favorite salads that I've learned from Jasper....I think I still enjoy the holiday salad the best, but this one has fabulous flavor from the cheese. I could have been done eating after this course!




Cousin Marie's Baked Ziti
The best surprise for me in this dish was the sauce which included amazing sausage and mama's meatballs. Typically pork sausage is either sweet or hot - this one was both (they sell Jasper's sausage at Hen House). Also - you know how everyone hits a clove of garlic with the side of a knife to make it peel better (I know I do)? Well, by doing so, you lose all of the garlic juice/flavor. So, starting today, I'm stopping that habit! Also, when you put garlic in to saute, remove it from the heat almost at once and it will be perfect.



Pollo alla Frederico
Fall off the bone tender and FULL of flavor is the best way to describe this dish. This is where I officially decided that I was so full I had to stop eating every bite of everything. And they called this class a "tasting!" This is where I learned "mis san blas" (sure hope I spelled that right). It means to have everything ready when you're cooking so it pulls together with ease. It's definitely the way I like to cook so I can mingle with my guests.




Classic Sicilian Cannoli
This brings me back to that last chapter of the book. It is pure heaven and DO NOT read it when you're hungry! It's a story of Jasper's search for the "perfect" cannoli on a recent trip to Italy. But of course, he has to describe every single wonderful meal he has in between. I won't ruin the surprise of where he finds that Perfect 10 - you'll have to read the book to know that one.

Next stop: reservations at Jasper's at 7:00 tonight. When Derek told me he'd never been there I told him it was a sin, so off to experience more wonderful Italian delights!






Thanks Jasper for another great experience!







No comments:

Post a Comment