Saturday, October 17, 2009

I Try It Before You Buy It

Tray and press for the ravioli maker
I have not come to a good conclusion on whether technology adds to or detracts from cooking, but I'm always up for experimenting. Today I've decided to see if a ravioli maker with press helps or hinders the homemade ravioli making process. My version of "I try it before you buy it". The first problem is the words "easy to follow recipes and instructions on back of box". False. I never really understand from reading the directions -- which are embedded in the recipe -- what the purpose of the plastic tray is. Since the metal press has 1/2" legs, it doesn't seem you really need the plastic tray - all the press does is slide all over the plastic when you set it on top.

First layer of dough with filling
The first step is to place one layer of dough across the metal press, gently push the dough into the holes and fill it with whatever yummies you have decided on for the ravioli filling. Next, you lay a second sheet of dough over the top and begin rolling the two together until the zig zag edges of the metal press are showing. Peel off the excess dough.

Finished product before it's removed
I did two batches of this, and on the first I didn't flour the press heavily enough and it stuck (directions said to lightly flour - I would say you can't have enough). I also had the problem that some of the raviolis were overfilled and burst through the back side of the dough. That's easily corrected by knowing how much filling to place in them. Maybe that could be a purpose for the plastic tray?

Not the prettiest, but there is good stuff inside!
Because of the filling "splillage" I decided to let them sit for a bit in the refrigerator before cooking.

What was I worried about? They are beautiful!
I chose a Giada recipe for my first attempt, but decided to adapt it by adding toasted pine nuts. The filling consisted of whole milk ricotta, egg, shredded rotisserie chicken (which you can buy at any grocery store and then have leftovers for the week), grated Parmesan, basil leaves, and salt and pepper. I heavily salted the water before boiling and then tossed them with really good extra virgin olive oil (from my olive oil club), more basil leaves, lemon zest, toasted pine nuts, and salt and pepper. If you want the recipe, you can find it at the Food Network web site under Ravioli Caprese: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/ravioli-caprese-recipe/index.html

Simple but yummy
One thing I've learned during my cooking experimentation is to keep it simple - too much fancy takes away from the flavors. I paired the ravioli with good sourdough baguette (and great olive oil to dip it in), spinach lettuce with balsamic dressing and a 2006 Masi Masianco Pinot Grigio.

My guinea pig
A big shout out to Derek who is willing to try just about anything I make and always does it with a big smile on his face. Please excuse the obnoxious Florida Gator t-shirt.
So, the final conclusion? I'm not sure the pasta press is worth the effort. I suppose I could perfect it in time, but think the old fashioned way of placing filling on dough and folding it over and using a simple pasta press cutter might be the way to go. I have a couple of Jasper cooking classes coming up at the OP Culinary Center - I might have do a little shopping in their very fun store and invest in the simpler method. Good news is that they taste good no matter how long they take to make or what they look like. And the best news is there are leftovers. Yum!






No comments:

Post a Comment