Monday, October 18, 2010

Love In Larryville

Sweet Summer Rain

The name of this drink at Pachamamas in Lawrence is a great way to start this blog posting. Derek and I attended a great friend's daughter's wedding in Lawrence and drove to Lawrence in a late summer/early fall rainstorm. We wanted to try a new restaurant before the evening wedding, and opted for recommendations from friends. I had heard a lot about this place and because we were early diners, we opted for the "Star Bar" portion of the restaurant. Ken Baker is the chef and owner and the focus is on seasonal, local and organic ingredients when possible, and very unique flavor combinations. I chose the Shire Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Egg (thanks to a recommendation from Lacy, our bartender). Derek had the Wood Fired Provolone Flatbread. I definitely won on the food choice, although I'm sure those calories are still hiding somewhere I wish they weren't. The drink pictured above was also Lacy's recommendation to Derek and came with a "high five" when it was served. It combined whiskey, ginger beer and a splash of something for color that escapes me.


Danforth Chapel

Danforth Chapel is a staple on the KU campus and I hadn't actual been there since the fire that destroyed it and it was then rebuilt to mirror the original structure. As you can see, it's in a picturesque setting and the rain had stopped, leaving everything green and rain-kissed.



Caitlin and Brett

The bride and groom had a simple, but beautiful ceremony. The family are big KU fans, so for some, there is nothing better than the combination of a wedding and Danforth Chapel. And they started the day with pictures at Allen Fieldhouse. My favorites were the ones on the Jayhawk on the basketball floor. I would include a copy, but then the photographer would have to kill me.




Sweet ride to the reception

Thanks to family members that have a love for vintage, the couple rode to the reception at Alvamar in style. Derek and I sat at a table of young couples, and I was reminded of the hope, anticipation and dreams of those years right out of school. Ah, love in Larryville.





No comments:

Post a Comment